North Warwickshire Dementia Friendly Community held their inaugural meeting on 17th March to launch their approach and share commitment to becoming a dementia friendly community. The meeting was well attended and proved to be very successful. Partners included, for example, North Warwickshire Borough Council, Arley Community Centre, Guideposts carers support service and Age UK.
The dementia friendly communities programme focuses on improving the inclusion and quality of life of people with dementia so they could remain valued, connected and involved members of their local community. The programme was launched in line with the Prime Ministers challenge on dementia in July 2012.
North Warwickshire Dementia Friendly Community have already proved they are progressing the initiative locally, and managed to achieve the following:
- Atherstone Leisure Complex are offering free swim vouchers for people living with dementia and their carers during Dementia Awareness Week. This entitles the person with dementia and their carer to go swimming for free at the centre, during the week commencing 16th May;
- Following a premises environment check from the Alzheimer’s Society, a number of changes have taken place at the Atherstone Leisure Complex centre. These changes have included new flooring, removal of clutter, new signage, staff training and improved lighting;
- A North Warwickshire event is being held on Wednesday 18th May at the Volunteers Centre in Atherstone to promote the range of activities being offered to people with dementia living in North Warwickshire. There will be an opportunity for community groups/organisations to attend to promote their service and offer activities. Activities will include, for example, musical sing-a-long, memory boxes or oomph session (a gentle seated exercise session). Please contact Martin Horner on 01827 717073 if you wish to book a space to promote your services;
- A Dementia Friends session is being held on Thursday 19th May at Atherstone Leisure Complex. People can sign up to the course at https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/ or contact Becky Evans via details provided at the bottom of this article. If any groups or organisations would like to organise a Dementia Friends Session, please contact Keeley on Waldron@alzheimers.org.uk;
- There are plans to start a number of dementia cafés in the community and local care homes, for example, a dementia café is due to start on May 6 (afternoon) in Water Orton.
On another note, the Aviva Women’s Tour (a prestigious world cycle race) is coming to North Warwickshire in June. Stage 2 of the event is actually starting in Atherstone on Thursday 16th June. To help create a carnival atmosphere we are asking all community groups/organisation, schools, nurseries, and children centres from across North Warwickshire borough, to decorate some bunting. We will provide the fabric, and we are asking everyone to decorate an individual piece of bunting which we will collect and join together. This will be used to decorate the route.
For more details please contact:
Community Development Officer, North Warwickshire Borough
Tel: 01827 719346